Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Social Media Revolution

Back in March, Vicki and I attended the WFEA (Washington Festivals and Events Association) Conference representing the National Lentil Festival and Pullman Chamber of Commerce. We learned a lot about what is happening in the worlds of festivals, events and tourism in Washington State, but one thing that really caught my attention was the emphasis on social media in both the workshops and casual conversation between the conference attendees. Even though I was in college during the "birth of Facebook" and many other social media sites, it was very eye opening to me how much social media is being used in the BUSINESS WORLD! Until then, I had thought of social media as something that was used primarily on a personal level.

I have had a personal Facebook account since it first became available at WSU - as you know in it's beginnings Facebook was only available to college students and only to a limited number of schools. My boyfriend at the time (now my husband of 5 years) was going to school at USC and was able to get a Facebook account a lot sooner than I was and I was so jealous! But I digress... :)

Now, of course, almost anyone or any organization can create a Facebook account. However, as I said, I  had no idea how social media was really being used for marketing purposes until I went to this conference. While I could provide pages and pages of information I picked up on this topic, I think a better way to get the initial idea across is to share this video that was played during several different sessions I attended at the conference.


As business owners and operators, employees, sales people, event planners and individuals, I think this video is a must see! :)

~ Amberly, Event Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment