Saturday, January 21, 2012

From your director

It's a daily occurrence; something new put on 'my plate'.  That's one of the reasons I love this job as the Executive Director of the Pullman Chamber of Commerce.  I never know what to expect or what my day may entail.  It's a little like parenting, which I've been actively participating in for over 30 years!  I quit wearing a watch at some point when my girls were very young.  I realized my day was driven by cries of hunger, dirty diapers and sleepy children and I really didn't need a watch to tell me these things.

At the chamber, I'm currently working on our big fundraiser, Cabaret.  This year's theme will be around the Beatles "In the Sky with Diamonds".  My favorite local band "The Senders" will be playing all the popular dance music of the earlier decades. Our favorite auctioneer, Austin Booker, will raise the bar and help us to have the most successful auction to date.  Funds from Cabaret help with operating costs for the chamber, and we appreciate not only the sponsors of the event, but all the many supporters and donors that make this 'adult prom' happen each year.  Cabaret was the first of it's kind to hit the Palouse over 30 years ago, and is still the premier fundraiser and the event that continues to set the standard for all others.

I enjoy my visits with chamber members and, what I affectionately call, potential members.  I try to get out several times a week just to say hello.  I ask about their business, their concerns, their new ideas, and try to encourage and enlighten when I can. I learn so much from these visits!  I once said many years ago, that I would try to learn ONE thing each and every day of my life.  Sometimes I even get to learn more than one :)
Marie~ExDir

No comments:

Post a Comment